The Authy app for Chrome, Windows, and Mac OS allows users to create a password to restrict access to the app. This guide will cover the Authy app Master Password and recovery.
How the Master Password Works
When the Master Password is enabled in the Authy app on Windows, Mac OS, or Chrome, users are prompted to create a password for locking the Authy app. We have a walkthrough for the Master Password enable and disable process here: Authy App Master Password for Desktop and Chrome.
The Master Password is never sent to Authy. This helps to ensure that no one will be able to access your account without entering the correct password, even in the unlikely event that our servers are compromised.
Since the Master Password is never sent to Authy or stored in our servers, Authy support is unable to recover your password.
2FA Account Access Options
If you ever forget your master password, we recommend taking the following steps to regain access to your 2FA accounts:
- Check any Authy installations on other devices (if available) to see if your tokens are present.
- Use the recovery codes provided by the service(s) during during 2FA setup to regain access to your account.
Unable to Recover Password
If you are unable to recall your Master Password, this installation can’t be recovered. However, you can still regain access to your Authy account. If Authy Backups are enabled, and you know your Backups password, you can also recover your encrypted 2FA account tokens.
Authy Multi-Device Enabled: If you have Multi-Device enabled, but your device is locked with the Master password, use this process to regain access to your account.
- From the Authy app on your computer, click the "Authy Desktop" menu, and then select Log out and reset device.
Note: Chrome App users must Remove Authy from chrome://apps, and then reinstall.
- Enter your phone number to reconfigure your account.
- Approve this access via SMS or a phone call.
- Select an encrypted token and enter your existing Backups password to decrypt it.
Authy Multi-Device Disabled: If you don’t have Multi-Device enabled, you can start the Account Recovery Process here: https://authy.com/phones/reset/?proceed=true
Notice: This process takes 24 hours; it cannot be rushed due to security protocols. If backups are not enabled, you will lose your 2FA tokens.