The Authy multi-device feature allows you to setup multiple trusted devices to use the same Authy account. Multi-device lets users easily sync their account and 2FA tokens with a number of devices (like a mobile phone, PC, laptop, tablet, etc.), or quickly add a new phone. This guide explains how the Multi-device feature works, and how to manually enable or disable it.
When you first create an Authy account, multi-device is enabled by default. This means you'll be free to setup another device to use your same Authy account and 2FA tokens. All you'll need to do is download and install Authy on the desired device, add your phone number, and allow this new device on your original Authy installation.
In fact, we recommend all Authy users to take advantage of this feature, and install Authy on another device to use as a backup. Once you have a backup installation setup through multi-device, you'll be covered in case you lose access to one of the devices. Losing your phone or a crashed laptop will no longer prevent you from accessing your secured online accounts.
Once your backup device is enabled, we recommend users disable the multi-device feature to prevent the risk of any unauthorized devices being added. In fact, Authy will automatically disable Multi-device when it detects that you have added an Authy app to more than one device. You will still be able to access your account from all existing installations, but you would need to manually enable multi-device to add another device. Once re-enabled, Authy remembers this choice, and won't disable it again.
Enable or disable Authy multi-device
Please click the appropriate link for instructions on enabling or disabling Multi-device from each of our Authy apps:
- Open the Authy Android app.
- Tap the … (menu) icon in the upper right corner, and then select Settings.
- From the Devices tab, tap the Allow Multi-device switch to enable or disable.
Notice: The Authy for Chrome App & Extension is no longer supported. For full details, see Authy for Chrome App & Extension End of Life.
- Open the Authy Chrome app.
- Click the Settings icon in the upper left corner.
- From the Devices tab, click the Multi-device checkbox to enable or disable.
Desktop - Linux, MacOS (OSX), or Windows
- Open the Authy desktop app.
- Click the Settings icon in the bottom right corner.
- Click Devices.
- Click Enable or Disable next to Multi-device.
- Open the Authy iOS app.
- Tap Settings in the upper right corner.
- From the "Devices" tab, tap the Allow Multi-device switch to enable or disable.