The Authy apps for Desktop and Chrome both have a Master Password feature to help keep your 2FA accounts safe. Once enabled, the Master Password will request users to enter their password whenever the Authy app is opened.
Notice: The Master Password is never stored in our servers. Make sure you write it down somewhere safe or use a password that only you know. If you ever forget your password, any 2FA account tokens that have not been backed up will be permanently lost. Users can, however, recover their Authy account by following the process here: Reinstalling Authy and Restoring Access to your Account.
Enable or Disable Authy App Master Password on Desktop
- Open the Authy Desktop app.
- Click the Settings icon in the bottom right corner.
- Click General.
- Next to "Master Password", click Enable or Disable.
- Enter and then re-enter the desired password.
To change the Master Password, click Settings > General > Change.
Enable Authy App Master Password on Chrome
Notice: The Authy for Chrome App & Extension is no longer supported. For full details, see Authy for Chrome App & Extension End of Life.
Once set, the Chrome app Master Password can't be disabled.
- Open the Authy Chrome app.
- Click the Settings icon in the top left corner.
- From the "Account" tab, enter the desired password in the "Master password" field, and then click Set.
- Re-enter the desired password in the "Confirm password" field, and then click Save.
To change the Master Password, click Settings > Account tab > Change.
What does Authy recommend for creating Master passwords?
In general, we recommended Authy users choose high entropy passwords, or those that lack order and predictability. The easiest way to generate a secure password would be to use password managers, or a passphrase generator like the one found here: https://www.rempe.us/diceware/#eff.
Specifically, we suggest your password be a minimum 10 characters in length, but recommend 20 characters or more. If you chose to use a passphrase, we suggest a minimum or 5 words in length, but recommend 8 words or more.