Aviso: Este artigo também está disponível em português.
If you have been using Authy for some time, you probably realized that there are a lot of different passwords. This article aims to explain the difference between these passwords and what security precautions you should take in order to keep your tokens safe.
Click the desired password type to find out more information:
- Authy Backups Password
- Authy Protection PIN for iOS and Android
- Authy Master Password for Chrome, Windows, and MacOS
Authy Backups Password
Authy allows you to backup and sync your 2FA account tokens across devices. With Authy Backups, you can easily sync 2FA access to your important online accounts between your phone, tablet, computer, and more.
- For help enabling and disabling backups, or changing the backups password, see Backups and Sync in Authy.
- For help with a lost or forgotten backups password, see What is a Backup Password? Can it be recovered?.
Authy Protection PIN for iOS and Android
The Protection PIN on iOS and Android allows you to lock your Authy app with a 4-digit PIN code, or a biometric scan (fingerprints on supported Android devices, Touch/Face ID on supported iOS devices). Setting the protection PIN helps keep your 2FA account tokens safe if you ever lose your device, or it falls into the wrong hands.
- For help enabling and disabling the Protection PIN, or changing the PIN, please see Authy Mobile App Protection PIN for iOS and Android.
- For help with a lost or forgotten PIN, see Authy Protection PIN Recovery for iOS and Android.
Authy Master Password for Chrome, Windows, and MacOS
Notice: The Authy for Chrome App & Extension is no longer supported. For full details, see Authy for Chrome App & Extension End of Life.
The Master Password in the Chrome, Windows, and MacOS Authy applications allows you to set a password to lock your Authy app installation. The password will be requested any time the app is opened, or when your computer wakes from sleep, so that your 2FA account tokens are protected.
- For help enabling and disabling Master Password, or changing the password, please see Authy App Master Password for Desktop and Chrome.
- For help with a lost or forgotten password, see Authy Desktop Master Password Recovery for Chrome, Linux, Mac OS, and Windows.
Notice: Authy doesn't have any other overall password to lock your account across all instances. You need to set the protection per device with either the PIN for mobile or the Master password for desktop.